It’s been 12 days since
It will also provide 80 hours of paid sick leave for full-time employees (or pro-rata for part-time employees) for the following reasons:
- To self-isolate because the employee is diagnosed with coronavirus.
- To obtain a medical diagnosis or care if such employee is experiencing the symptoms of coronavirus.
- To comply with a recommendation or order by a public official or a health care provider on the basis that the physical presence of the employee on the job would jeopardize the health of others because the employee was exposed to coronavirus or is exhibiting coronavirus symptoms.
- To care for or assist a family member of the employee who is self-isolating because a family member has been diagnosed with coronavirus or is experiencing symptoms of coronavirus and needs to obtain medical diagnosis or care.
- To care for a family member if a public official or a health care provider makes a determination that the presence of the family member in the community would jeopardize the health of others because of the exposure of such family member to the coronavirus exhibition of symptoms of coronavirus by such family member.
- To care for the child of such employee if the school or place of care has been closed, or the childcare provider of such child is unavailable because of coronavirus.
Importantly, if an employer already offers paid sick leave to its employees, coronavirus paid sick leave must be in addition to the already-existing leave, and an employer cannot amend its sick leave policy to avoid offering additional leave. The bill also prohibits discrimination or retaliation. Finally, to help defray the cost of the paid leave, the bill makes available a tax credit equal to 100 percent of sick leave wages paid by an employer.
This leave is vitally necessary now, and is a strong first step to making permanent paid family and sick leave a national reality after this crisis ends.
This is a developing issue. I’ll provide further updates and guidance as necessary.
This content was originally published here.